If you own a weapon and you want to customize it, you need the best gunsmith torque wrench in your tool kit. Without it, you’ll have a difficult or nearly impossible time mounting accessories of any kind. But not all gunsmith torque wrench choices are the same and you don’t want to waste your money.
That is why we have compiled this list of the ten best torque wrenches to help you in your search. We also answered some common questions regarding torque wrenches that will help you to be informed before you make your decision on which to buy.
Gunsmith Torque Wrench FAQs
1. What Is a Gunsmith Torque Wrench?
A gunsmith torque wrench is an electric handheld tool that is used to mount a scope on a firearm, particularly rifles. The torque wrench accurately measures the tightness of screws, bolts, nuts, and other firearm components in inch pounds, the standard torque value.
It helps mount components such as grips and scopes so that they stay on the firearm without becoming loose. They also help with long-term maintenance, helping to re-tighten screws and bolts over time.
2. Why Should I Use a Gunsmith Torque Wrench?
There are several benefits to using a gunsmith torque wrench. One benefit is that it increases your rate of accuracy while torquing. All scopes come with a specific torque value in inch lbs for their screws, and it’s important to torque them to the specified amount. Doing it blindly can cause serious damage to the scope, break off a screw, or strip the threads in the scope ring.
Gunsmith torque wrenches are also more consistent because they can keep repeating the same level of torque each time you use them. You can also be sure you will get a consistently good torque if you use it on different items. They are easier to use than trying to insert the screws by hand with a screwdriver because they are more powerful, automatically create torques on their own, and are quiet while operating.
Some other facts to note are that mounting a scope incorrectly can void the manufacturer’s warranty because the problem was caused by the user. Even rifles with a small recoil can cause a scope to shift if mounted incorrectly. Because of all these different reasons, it is best to use a gunsmith torque wrench to mount your rifle scope.
3. What Should I Look For in a Gunsmith Torque Wrench?
When choosing a gunsmith wrench, make sure it has parts made of metal instead of plastic. The grip should be comfortable enough to hold and should not slip during use. You want an accurate wrench, so getting a digital torque wrench or a slipper-type wrench is the best.
Check and be sure that the wrench comes with a good warranty, even a lifetime warranty. Check if the ratchets go clockwise, counterclockwise, or bi-directional. Finally, buy a kit that has different heads to be able to use on different scopes.
How We Reviewed
We reviewed the following torque wrenches based on their features, pros and cons, price, and where they can be bought. We were able to narrow the list down to these four categories by reading countless user and expert positive and negative reviews of each model. We also conducted extensive research on torque wrenches and their uses and features.
By doing this research and comparing the models in these categories, we are able to provide you with the most accurate list of the best gunsmith torque wrenches possible.
What We Reviewed
Capri Tools CP21075 Certified Limiting Torque Screwdriver Set
- 10-50 inch-pound ergonomic torque screwdriver with 1/4-inch female hex drive
- Internationally recognized calibration certificate included: +/-6% - DIN ISO 6789 & ASME B107.300-2010
- Adjustment in 1 inch-pound increments for maximum precision. Torque limiting feature causes screwdriver to slip,...
The Capri CP21075 is the first of the gunsmith torque wrenches because of its range of 10-50 inch lbs, making it ideal for most scope rings. It includes the internationally recognized +/-6% – DIN ISO 6789 & ASME B107.300-2010 calibration certificate, ensuring its accuracy. It has a T handle, providing greater flexibility, and comes with 20 bits for versatility.
It makes an audible click when you reach the specified value and then slips so you don’t go beyond that value. It adjusts in 1 in-lb increments and comes with a carry case and a one-year warranty.
- T Handle attachment
- Comes with 20 bits
- 1 in/lb increments
- Intuitive torque adjustment
- Comes with a carry case
Wheeler Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench with Inch/Pounds Measurement
- ACCURACY: +/- 2 inch/pounds up to 40 inch/pounds; 40 – 65 is +/- 5%
- EASE OF USE: Apply, repeatable, accurate torque settings to scope rings, guard screws, windage screws and base screws,...
- RELIABLE: Torque adjustment range from 10 inch/pounds to 65 inch/pounds
The Wheeler Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench has reliable adjustments that range from 10 inch-pounds to 65 inch-pounds in 5 inch-pound increments. It is calibrated to an accuracy of +/- 2 inch-pounds up to 40 inch-pounds and +/- 5 inch-pounds at 40-65 inch-pounds. The bits are made of S2 tool steel and hardened to 56-58 Rockwell C for great durability.
The kit comes with 10 bits that can be used for multiple applications, a 1/4″ socket, and a plastic storage case. It makes an audible click once the preset torque value is reached and slips to prevent over-tightening.
- 10-65 in-lbs range
- Durable construction
- Comes with 10 bits and a socket
- Comes with a storage case
- Pre-set torque values and slip feature
- The plastic carrying case could be stronger
- Hard to hold on to the adjustment tier
- Wrenches are better for tightening than loosening
- Only set to 5 in/lb increments
Vortex Optics Torque Wrench Mounting Kit
- This tool is easy to operate, simple to set, and offers fast, accurate tension wherever and whenever you need it.
- The easy to read inch-pound increments ensure you tighten in 1in/lb increments to the specified torque, and not a bit...
- Bits included in kit: 3/16" Hex bit - fits Vortex Bobro mounts, 2.5mm Hex bit - Fits Razor Red Dot, 3mm Hex bit - Fits...
The Vortex Optics Torque Wrench Mounting Kit comes with great features and accessories. It has an adjustment range of 10 inch-pounds to 50 inch-pounds in easy-to-read 1 inch-pound increments for great accuracy. It comes with 6 bits that are designed to fit rifle scope sizes, a 1/2″ socket, and a 1/4″ socket adaptor.
This torque wrench has the DIN-ISO 6789 certification, with only a 5.5% deviation from the set point. It also stops once you reach the right torque to prevent over-tightening.
- 1 inch-pound increments
- Comes with 6 bits
- DIN-ISO 6789 certification
- Easy to use and portable
- Repeatable torques
- Prevents over-tightening
- Limited in upper torque range at only 50 in-lbs
- No storage case included
Weaver Gunsmithing 849728 Torque Wrench Screwdriver Magnetic Bits
- Hunting gun smiting equipment
- Helps mount scopes and bases with consistent screw pressure to manufacturer's specs
- Includes a variety of bits for different fasteners
The Weaver Gunsmithing 849728 is an excellent gunsmith torque wrench for scopes with its large adjustment range of 15-80 inch-pounds in 5 inch-pound increments and a magnetic tip. It comes with 10 bits for multiple applications and a plastic carrying case. It also comes with a one-year limited warranty.
- 15-80 in/lbs adjustment range
- Easy to use
- May be difficult to read measurements
- Torque cannot be set for repeated use
- Only set to 5 in/lb increments
Nightforce Optics Scope Mounting Torque Wrench
The Nightforce Optics Scope Mounting Torque Wrench is a T-style wrench that is preset to 68 inch-pounds of torque for cross bolts. It is only recommended for cross bolts and not for tightening scope ring screws. It fits 3/8″ sockets.
- Perfect for use with cross bolts
- Fits 3/8″ sockets
- Not good for tightening scope rings
- No accessories included
Neiko 10573B Torque Screwdriver Set, 1/4-Inch Drive
- [PROFESSIONAL GRADE]: Meter window displays a 10-50 in-lb torque range that is adjustable in 5 in-lb increments
- [FEATURES]: Torque limiting feature allows screwdriver to torque to set level, which avoids damage to threaded fasteners
- [EASY-TO-USE]: 'Pull-Turn-Lock' handle is designed to ensure easy adjustment and automatic tension locking
The Neiko 10573B Torque Screwdriver Set has a 10-50 inch-pound torque adjustment range in 5 inch-pound increments. The set has a simple pull-and-turn handle design and an easy-to-read meter window for easy operation. It has a torque-limiting feature that only allows it to torque to the preset level, preventing damage to threaded fasteners.
The drive head is compatible with any 1/4″ socket, allowing it to be used for a variety of applications. It comes with 20 bits and a storage case.
- Easy to operate
- Torque limiting feature
- Versatile due to the adaptable 1/4″ socket
- Comes with a storage case and 20 bits
- Some users complain that the socket head and tips can be loose
- The instruction sheet is confusing
- Only set to 5 in/lb increments
Warne 25In/Lb T-15 Torque Wrench TW1
- Break Away Design to allow user to know when the proper torque has been reached.
- Designed for Bases and Rings
- Warne Scope Mounts T-15 Torque Wrench
The Warne T-15 Torque Wrench TW1 is definitely the most affordable of the gunsmith torque wrenches on the list. It has a fixed torque of 25 inch-pounds and the bit is a T-15 Torx bit. It features a break-away design that lets you know when you’ve reached the proper torque, has a T-style shape, and is designed for rings and bases.
- Break-away design
- Light and portable
- Designed for bases and rings
- The bit cannot be changed or replaced
Warne Scope Mount Torque Wrench Base
- Product Type: Sporting Goods
- Item Package Dimensions: 22.86 L X 15.748 W X 5.08 H (Cm)
- Country Of Origin: United States
The Warne Scope Mount Torque Wrench Base is designed specifically for tactical mounts, with a 1/4″ drive that is pre-set to 65 inch-pounds. It has electronic visual and auditory notifications that let you know when you have reached the limit. The drive fits in the palm of the hand and comes with a 1/2″ socket that can also be switched with any 1/4″ socket.
The handle has a rubber coating. It is powered by two replaceable CR2025 batteries, but it can still run without them; it just won’t make any noises or flash any lights when the torque is reached.
- Three torque limit notifications
- Small and easy to use
- 1/2″ socket can be switched to 1/4″ socket
- Ergonomic handle with a rubber coating
- Only for tactical mounts
- Made with a plastic shell
Wheeler 710909 Digital Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench
- EASE OF USE: With an audible indicator tone, LCD display, and low battery indicator, the Wheeler Firearm Accurizing...
- SPECS: 10 bits are made from S2 tool steel and hardened to a 56-58 Rockwell "C"
- RELIABLE: +/- 2% accuracy
The Wheeler 710909 Digital Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench has a great adjustment range of 15-100 inch-pounds with an accuracy of +/- 2%. It features a large LCD digital display for easy-to-read measurements and an audible indicator tone to help you know when you’ve reached the pre-set torque limit. It also features a battery level indicator.
It comes with ten S2 Tool steel bits that have been hardened to 56-56 Rockwell ‘C’. It can be used with bows, scope rings, and other screws. It also comes with a storage case.
- 15-100 in/lb adjustment range
- Large LCD digital display
- Audible torque limit indicator
- Battery indicator
- Durable construction
- Comes with ten bits and a storage case
- Versatile applications
- Some users complain about occasional inaccurate readings
- The carrying case could be stronger
Wheeler Scope Mounting Kit Combo, 1-Inch/30mm
- INCLUDES: Torque Screwdriver Wrench, 10 screwdriver bits, Wheeler Level-Level-Level, 1" & 30mm scope ring lapping bars,...
- VERSATILE: Provides virtually everything needed to properly mount any 1-inch or 30mm scope, adjustable barrel clamp...
- RELIABLE: Alignment and lapping of rings ensure maximum surface area contact between scope tube and rings, the barrel...
The Wheeler 710909 Digital Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench is last but not least on the list, with the ability to mount any 1-inch or 30mm scope properly. It has an adjustment range of 10-65 inch-pounds in increments of 5 inch-pounds.
It comes with 10 screwdriver bits, the Wheeler Level-Level-Level, a 1″ and a 30mm scope ring lapping bar, 1″ and 30mm scope ring alignment bars, a lapping bar handle, a lapping compound, and a thread lock, providing everything needed to mount 1″ or 30mm scopes accurately. It also comes with a hard carrying case and a calibration sticker to ensure proper torquing.
- 10-65 in/lbs adjustment range
- Comes with everything needed to mount 1″ or 30mm scopes
- Comes with carrying case
- Comes with a wide range of tools
- 10 bits
- Calibration sticker
- Only set to 5 in/lb increments
- Lapping bar handle is too small to maintain a proper grip
The Verdict: The Best Gunsmith Torque Wrench
After comparing these ten different models, we choose the Wheeler 710909 Digital Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench as the best on the list. It has the largest adjustment range of 15-100 inch-pounds and is very accurate. It also has a digital display and an indicator tone, making it easy to use and reducing the chance of over-torquing. The fact that it comes with ten durable steel bits and a storage case makes it versatile, and the price is reasonable.
If you’re seeking torque wrenches for specific applications, you may want to check out the Warne Scope Mount Torque Wrench Base or the Nightforce Optics Scope Mounting Torque Wrench. Overall, however, the Wheeler 710909 is a great gunsmith torque wrench for mounting scopes and other applications.
Last update on 2021-05-17 at 21:58 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API